View the beauty of Colorado’s wilderness from the back of a horse. Enjoy a truly interactive horseback experience with our trail rides in Colorado. Book yours online today!
Colorado Cattle Drives
A unique traditional western experience!
Check in 8:30 am, departs 9:00 am
4 Hours - Ages 12+
Price is Per Rider
Take Part in a Western Tradition with a Cattle Drive in Colorado!
Get real with a cattle drive where YOU are actually doing the drive. Our guests take part in and actually help move the cattle herd on horseback with us, not watching us. We will coach you on working around the cattle safely and how to get them moved successfully.
This activity is not recommended for guests who have never ridden horses before. It is four hours of riding in the saddle with no breaks until the job is done. This activity therefore requires somewhat more physical fitness than our trail rides and can be quite fatiguing if you are not prepared to ride that long in the outdoors (sun, heat, dust, rain, wind, etc.).
What makes this activity genuinely special is that its very nature allows beginner to advanced riders to ride to their individual ability levels. This is also a great team building event for businesses or reunions and a terrific opportunity for groups with mixed riding abilities! Some prior riding experience is preferred for all participants as this is not your typical trail ride. We are one of only a handful of equestrian stables in the West that offer authentic cattle drives to the public. Talk about an amazing adventure across 10,000 acres!
You will see panoramic views of the Continental Divide and the Gore, Williams Fork and Never Summer mountain ranges. Riding terrain varies from open sagebrush plains to aspen and pine-covered hills.
The minimum age for this activity is 12. Helmets are required for all 12 year olds and provided free of charge at check-in.
Rusty Spurr Ranch Policies:
- The maximum weight our largest horses can carry is 230 lbs (not every horse can carry this much) and all riders must be under a Body Mass Index of 34 to insure horse and rider safety. We weigh riders privately at check-in and if any rider exceeds their stated weight on the reservation, they may not be allowed to ride. NO REFUNDS are issued under these circumstances. It is your responsibility to know what weight was stated for you on your reservation and to contact us to correct it in advance if there is a discrepancy. Know your current weight AND BMI before arriving at the ranch to avoid any disappointments. Be advised: a rider who is under 230 lbs may still be unable to ride if their height/weight ratio is too high.
- Age minimums are 12 years old for Cattle Drives and 8 years old for Trail Rides.
- Please leave your dogs at home! We love dogs and do not wish to see them left in a hot car. Non-ranch dogs pose a safety risk around horses.
- We ride in all weather including rain and snow.
- Weather cancellations shall be at the sole discretion of the Rusty Spurr Ranch.
- Please remember that the weather patterns in this area are highly localized and more often than not it is sunny here when it is raining in the ski area towns. Check out our 5 day local weather forecast on the Home Page.
- All rides require advanced reservations to ensure availability.
- Reservations are subject to a 48-hour cancellation policy except large groups over 8 riders. Groups of 9 or more have a NON-REFUNDABLE 50% cancellation charge anytime after booking as large groups reserve many of our resources and are harder to fill last-minute. NO REFUNDS for large groups will be given within 2 weeks of the activity date.
- Private rides require a two-person minimum, or the single guest pays for 2 riders.
- We add a 10% gratuity for parties of 7 or more. For unaccompanied children, we add a 15% gratuity.